Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Christmas Miracle: A Change Of Heart













Tears stream down my face whene'er the thought crosses my mind.

A miracle has occurred.  A Christmas miracle.

A heart has been found.

Spencer is five years old.  He was a healthy, normal, laughing, running, playing, praying little boy.  Two months ago he said his tummy hurt.

His heart was broken.  He was whisked to a hospital and there he has stayed.  Hooked to machines.  Sick and tired and confused.

His mother is my good friend, Nancy.  She wrote journal entries daily to inform those of us who love Spencer and his family of his progress.

We waited for a heart.  We prayed.  I prayed.  Daily and more than daily.

I saw myself as Nancy.  I saw my son in the hospital.  Scared and confused and hurting.  I saw myself at his side wearing my brave face, so as not to frighten him. I tried to get him to smile and eat his lunch.  I read him stories and sang him songs.  I cried myself to sleep for fear.

I saw my own heart broken. And I prayed for Nancy.

There is no greater fear for a mother than that of losing a child.  And as I write this the tears won't cease.

A heart was found for little Spencer.  A heart was found for Nancy.

A heart was found for all of us who love them.

Yesterday the transplant transpired.  A new heart beats in his tiny chest.  He is doing well today.  He may be home by the New Year.

As I contemplate the miracle of prayer and modern medicine tonight I cannot help but think of another mother.









































And she brought forth her first born son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.


And there was in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night.


And, lo the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.


And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.


For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.


And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.


And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,


Glory to God in the highest, and on the earth peace, good will toward men.




...Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.  ~St. Luke 2:7-14; 19


























Like Mary, I keep all these things and ponder them in my heart.

Gratitude and Love envelope me as I think of that child in swaddling clothes.  The Saviour of the world who would save Mankind from sin.  Save us from the grave.  Offer us eternal life and forever families.

There are those who roam this earth with broken hearts.  Hearts that cannot be remedied with modern medicine.

Men and women ache for relief from the sorrows they endure.  Untold tales of anguish and pain. They suffer financial pains.  The pains of abuse.  Addiction.  Mental illness.  Infertility.  Confusion.  Loneliness.  Sin.  Darkness is upon them.  Hope is seemingly lost.

But in that darkness if they turn their eyes toward heaven they will have light. And the light casteth out darkness.  Hope is not lost.  The pain of this fallen realm can be quelled.

Our broken hearts can be made new.

For behold I bring you good tidings of great joy!

New life is available to all who suffer.

Come unto him.  Those that are heavy laden.  And He shall give you rest.  He shall give you peace.

Praise God!  Glory to God in the highest!

Good will towards you, my friend.

Peace on earth.

Merry Christmas.


PS My daughter  filmed bits of my choir rehearsal today.  The following is an Austrian Alp Carol.  We sing of Christ as a babe.  A lullaby.

Lippai from your sleep awake.  Let me sleep.
Lippai from your dreams awake.  Let me sleep.
Wonderous the sights we see.
Out on the hillside near.
Brighter than light of day shining clear
In Bethlehem a babe is born
"Who has told you so?"
Angels were heaven sent.
:Have they told you so?"
Mary a maid so pure 
has born a beautiful son.
Go, follow the shining star
Haste with the wind.
Born in a manger low,
sent from above
No lovlier babe is born
filling all with love.
Only to rock the child
my greatest joy would be
Cradled in Mary's arms 
for the world to see.