Saturday, September 25, 2010

Socc-ah Stah



T-Bone is a SOCC-AH ST-AH!

Yes.  I have offocially joined the ranks of soccer moms for the season. 

I actually forced myself to roll out of bed on a Saturday morn and throw caution to the wind by not grooming myself in the least.  It's not cool to look groomed at a soccer game.  And I really really care about looking cool at all times. 

It's been a very exciting day!

Some of the jargon used to express myself with wild abandon as I ran up and down the side lines included phrases such as,

"COME ON!  HUSTLE, YELLOW JACKETS!"


"TAKE THE LEAD OUT, BUDDY!"

"GET IN THERE!"


"TAKE IT FROM HIM!"


"GOOD DEFENSE, BOYS!"


"KICK HIM WHERE IT COUNTS!"

I shouted right along with all the other fathers living vicariously through their sons.  Our voices were thick and passionate with memories of our own soccer days.  Sometimes men were so passionate in their shouting their voices broke and squeaked like a visit back to puberty. 

I actually never played soccer.  So that was a lie regarding my own soccer experiences.  But I'm pretty sure the voices of the the fathers surrounding me were thick with memories...

The Yellow Jackets were slaughtered by the Red Ninjas.  4 to 2. 





















My son scored one of the two goals for his team.  I jumped up and down and screamed like an imbecile to innocent passersby and stuck my fingers in their faces,

"YES!  DID YOU SEE THAT???  THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE, SUCKA!  THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!"

Of course, my boy is the best on his team because he knows that in the spirit of fair play and confidence building I will not feed him for a week if he doesn't do me proud.  It's a great motivator for him.

My Bella listened intently as I hollered and pointed and dropped to my knees in anguish when the other team scored.

"Mom," she said with a thoughtful expression.  "I've been listening to you for an hour now.  You really are crazy, aren't you?  You really ARE a crazy Mexican...".

Yeah.  Yeah.  That's neither here nor there.

I'm grateful for the healthy outlet that is soccer.  It teaches kids to the importance of teamwork and cooperation and good sportsmanship.




















PS  MY SON CAN BEAT UP YOUR SON, SUCKAAAAAAAA!  SEE YOU ON THE FIELD, LOSER!