Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A way with words, Balla'
































When I was a kid I use to play baseball in the street every night with the neighborhood kids.  I never wore shoes and I didn't own a glove.

We would yell, "CAR!"  when one was coming and move to the side of the road.  Then we'd re-assume our positions.  I LOVED baseball.  I was stinkin' fast and hit hard and the boys always wanted me on their team.  (This was BEFORE puberty so they actually wanted me on their team because I was good at BASEBALL and not some ulterior motive.  You catch my drift...).


























Today I took my son to hit a few balls.  We hit balls against the fence for an hour.  Then I noticed this sign.



















We continued hitting balls against the fence.


















I used this as an opportunity to teach him some stuff.

I said, "Did you know words are very very important?"

He said, "I already know all the words."

I laughed, "No, Buddy, you can never know enough words."  Then I sang, "Pitcher has a rubber arm!  Pitcher has a rubber arm!"  I was pitching.  He thought it was funny.

I said, "Another way to say 'pitcher has a rubber arm' is to say 'pitcher is in-ade-quate'. Let's sing it like that now."  So we did.



\














In this pic he swung that bat as hard as his little arms allowed.  As you can see the ball still rests comfortably on the T.  I didn't laugh then... But I'm laughing NOW!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!

I showed him the sign that said not to throw balls at the fence.  I threw a ball at the sign. BULL'S EYE.

"Another word for fence is enclosure, my love.  Say enclosure."

I taught him lots of new words today.


















 I love words.  Writing is all I've ever wanted to do.  I've had a pen in my left hand and a notebook in my right since I was eight years old.  I read the dictionary and I think the Thesaurus is the most amazing book ever! Words, words, words.



Sometimes I feel words are all I really have.  I want people to feel me, ya know?  I don't want readers to read my stuff.  I want them to FEEL it.

Stephen King has said, "Never go to the page lightly". Then he repeats himself, "Never go to the page lightly!".  I understand, Mr. King. 

When I write, I write from my soul.  It's like words bubble up from way deep down and present themselves in just the right order.  I often feel like its a gift from God when I write something that perfectly puts my soul on the page. 

















My writing is only powerful when I truly FEEL what I'm writing.  My writing can only touch someone if I am being completely honest. I love that about writing!  A reader can tell if it's not genuine.  It must come from the heart to strike a chord.

Think of all the books you've read that have affected you deeply.  If you have felt power when reading you've experienced the gift of words.

Tonight I wrote a very angry e-mail to some people who have hurt me.  It was written from the heart of my feiry soul.  They iz gonna git it!

I explained all of this to T-bone.  He said,  "Uh huh.  Can we have hotdogs for dinner?"

I love these little heart to hearts.