Friday, March 30, 2012

That's Ironic! ...I think...

Here is a convo that makes no sense whatever. :)  Good thing I'm driving this thing.

"Mom, this food you cooked is DELICIOUS!  ...Even though you've been sick.  ...That's so IRONIC!" said Serena (13) at dinner tonight.

"Baby, that's not ironic," I responded. 

"Why not?"

"It just isn't.  Irony is... not ... what you just said... It is not ironic that the food is good even though I've been sick.".

"I want to say 'THAT'S IRONIC'.  What IS irony?"

"When something is the literal opposite of.... ummm... what was... said."

"So... if I like cooked carrots... is that ironic?"

"Why?  Are you a cooked carrot?"

"No."

"Then no."

"I spend lots of time online looking up 'how to do your eye makeup' videos.  THAT'S SOOO IRONIC!"

"No. It's not."

"I like blue.  That is SOOOO ironic!"

"Nope."

"I have a lot of homework.  OH THE IRONY!"

"Alanis Morrisette wrote a song called "Ironic".  I went to her concert when it was hot.  The girl I went with totally starting kissing a boy she didn't know at that concert.  "

"What did the song say?"

"Ummm... it's like meeting the man of your dreams and then meeting his BEAUTIFUL wife.... I'm pretty sure her song was wrong about irony though...".

"That's ironic."

"Yeah.  It is. ...I think."


Here is the definition and a debate about Irony.

Tell me.  What IS ironic?  Examples anyone?