Sunday, December 25, 2011

An Embarrassment Of Riches

























My children are nestled all sung in their beds as visions of skateboards dance through their heads. They could barely contain themselves at bedtime for the utter excitement of Christmas.

I am nestled all sung in my chair
I'd like some more cookies but I don't think I dare...

Before I tell you about my day allow me to share the thought in my head.

I am baffled.  Beyond comprehension I am awestruck.  Here is the reason, my friends:

I have been blessed with far more than what I deserve.

My Christmas Eve was spectacular.  I was filled to overflowing with gratitude, tamales and sugar cookies.

Why have I been given all of This? Riches beyond Midas' imagination.

I have no answer.  I am only grateful.

I shall now take you with me on my Christmas Eve journey.  On we go...

"Can I wear this mustache to Benny's tonight, Mama?"

"No, honey.  Sorry.  You're grandmother wouldn't like it."

"Benny wouldn't care though...  Grandmother just wants me to be Lemito."

"As do I, Lemito. No stash. Respect.  Respeto."



















We made cookies, my offspring and I.  Star shaped.  Cane shaped.  Gingerbread man shaped.  And also we made cookies of the Snickerdoodle variety.  I have a healthy appetite for cookies of the snickerdoodle variety.

"This red frosting looks like blood," said Bella.  "it's pretty cool actually, 'cause the red in candy canes is supposed to represent Jesus' blood."


"Well, that's a deep and morbid thought to share whilst making sugar cookies," said I.

"Yeah, and also the canes are supposed to represent the canes of the shepherds in the field.  And if you flip them upside down it makes a 'J'.  For Jesus.  ...Why does Christmas always have green stuff though too?"


"Life," I responded.  "Green signifies new life.  The life beyond death.  Resurrection.  A chance to live forever..."


"Huh.  That's cool.  Can I eat one yet?"


"Yup."








































































When the cookies were all rolled and shaped and baked and frosted I sent my children up and down the neighborhood delivering plates of said confections to whomever would open their doors to them.

*****************************************************************

We found ourselves at my very young and handsome uncle Benny's house at 6:30pm.

"I have a special surprise for you," he said.

"Oh yeah?" said I.

"We bought a kareoke machine and got Santa Baby especially for you to sing tonight."


"Oh no."


Oh. Yes.

Here is a teeny tiny super dark and silly clip in which I said "come and krim my Christmas tree...".  My camera refused to record anymore than 40 seconds based on the fact I was making a complete fool of myself and singing through my nose to be funny.  ...I have no shame.  We establish this time and again.  Shame is highly overrated in my mind.






















Cousin Aaron, my little cousin Aaron, wondered if I could possibly take a candid shot of him.  He and I are related.  As you can clearly see we both take beautifully choreographed candid photos.




















My sister, Michelle, is winking at you.  She's a sly one, that.  She'll wink and leave you broken hearted to cry in your menudo.  Menudo is delicious.  I quite enjoy it.



















Cousin Joe sang Adam Sandler's I Want To Grow Old With You.  Uncanny really, how when I closed my eyes me thought me could actually hear Adam's voice.  Joe sounded like his vocal twinner. I love that song.  It's a really great song.

Benny and Aaron sang several exciting and memorable duets.  If I could recall what they sang I would tell you... I do know, however, that they were indeed memorable and exciting and entertaining.  Not bad for a couple of meatheads.  Not bad at all.

My children were total hams when it came their turn.  Maya belted out Frosty The Snowman as if her life depended on it. Tyson was her backup dancer.  That boy can MOVE!






















Baby Santa wipes kisses off her cheek when you kiss her.  She wipes the kisses right off!  Tiny Evita plays hard to get, which is a trait that also runs in this Mexican family of ours.  My Tia Letty is training her up in the way she should go.  Make them work for it, baby.



















Bondi (Rosalina), Victoria and Myself pose in lovely trio.  Snow White Thrice.  My baby cousins are all grown up. YEEEOWZAAAA!  MUY CALIENTE! ;P




















The largest blessing in my life, however, is my big, strong man.

"You're my big strong man," I like to say in my cutest little girl voice.

And he is.

"I love you sooo much!" I say.

And I do.






































Maya prepared a small plate of cookies for Santa.

"I don't want to give him too much or he'll get a tummy ache.  Why does he never finish the milk I leave him?"


"Well, he is in a big hurry to get to all the boys and girls all over the world in one night... He probably just chugs a bit of milk to wash down his cookies and he is on his way..." I said.


























OH MY GOSH!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS POST THERE AROSE SUCH A CLATTER THAT I JUMPED UP FROM MY CHAIR TO SEE WHAT WAS THE MATTER!

THEN I SAW HIM!!!  SANTA!!!! SANTA CAME!!! AND I SAW HIM! It went sorta like this...

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;

A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,

And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;

He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,

And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,

And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,

And laying his finger aside of his nose,

And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight






































MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!


AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!