Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Mighty Change of Heart

"There is nothing more we can do for him," the doctors said.  "We will just have to wait and see.  His heart is not doing well."


The doctors were speaking of my mother's brother, Paco.  Last night his heart was failing him.  Our enormous family anxiously filled the waiting room with tear filled eyes and prayerful hearts.

My father arrived just in time to hear these words.

"There is something I can do," he said.  "Where is Jose?"


My uncle Jose ( a former Mormon bishop) had been in the hospital waiting room all day and was heading home for the night.  He tried to exit the hospital but all the doors he tried were locked.  Despite every effort he could not exit the building.  His phone rang.

"Where are you, Jose?" asked dad.

"I'm still in the hospital.  I can't get out," he laughed.

"I need you back up here.  There is a reason you can't get out."


My father called his brother-in-law back in order to administer a blessing on the head my sick uncle.

We Mormons believe in the Power of the Priesthood held by a worthy man.  It is the very power of God. Great miracles can occur through this power.

My father and my uncle live their lives in such a way that the Lord can work miracles through them.  They are men of God.  Pure in heart.

They laid their hands upon the head of a sick man.  They prayed. They called down the powers of heaven to heal their brother-in-law.

I was not there to hear the words that were uttered.  But a loving and kind Heavenly Father was There.  He heard their pleas.  He answered.

Knock and it shall be opened unto you.  Ask and ye shall receive.

Shortly after the blessing the doctors were baffled to discover my uncle had suddenly, inexplicably (so far as they were concerned) taken a turn for the better.

A miracle.

There are no coincidences in this life.  There is a plan for each of us.

My uncle was not supposed to die last night.

There is a great lack of faith in this world.  People are sad and feel hopeless and helpless. The helplessness drives them to eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

But for those of us who Know, tomorrow we do not surely die.  But we look forward in Faith with a brightness of Hope to everlasting life.

For those of us with Faith miracles occur and we accept them as such.  We seek Joy in this journey.  We are privy to a deep understanding of Life, True Love and the world to come.

I am grateful beyond measure for the Love of a gentle God who allows us all to be healed and come unto Him.  I live for that Love and feel it course through me with every breath I take.

All broken hearts can be mended.