Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Obama In Tucson: American Family


















My heart is full of gratitude tonight for President Barack Obama. 

I'm beyond grateful for a leader who would extend his Love and words of Comfort to my fellow mourning Tucsonans.  Our hearts are broken for those who were killed and injured in the shooting spree that occured Saturday.  We have been comforted by our President an hour of need.

The most powerful man in the world exemplified the gentle concern of a True Leader as he entreated his fellow Americans to be full of Empathy and Kindness.  He urged us to "expand our circle of concern".

His speech tonight moved me to tears.  He was truly inspired as he said,

"As we discuss these issues, let each of us do so with a good dose of humility," Obama said. "Rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame, let us use this occasion to expand our moral imaginations, to listen to each other more carefully, to sharpen our instincts for empathy, and remind ourselves of all the ways our hopes and dreams are bound together...."


.."And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their deaths help usher in more civility in our public discourse, let's remember that it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy, it did not, but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to our challenges as a nation, in a way that would make (the victims) proud."


More Civility, my friends!

After pulling to the road side to listen to President Obama's speech on the radio I went home.  I gathered together my children and read them scriptures that speak of temperance and brotherly kindnessI told them how very blessed we are to live in a country where freedom of speech and religion is not only permitted but celebrated.

I explained to my children that although I may not always agree with the political views of our President, I respect him and the great office he holds.  I told my babies I am accutely aware of his Deep Love of Country and his Love for the citizens therein. 

President Barack Obama reminded us tonight we are a family. "An American Family 300 Million Strong."  I'm mighty proud to be included among the ranks!

My prayer tonight is that God be with the leaders of this Great Nation that they might be guided by His hand.
 
GOD BLESS AMERICA!   Play ball.