Monday, November 15, 2010

Colorful



















In order to set a new tone in the city, Nogales, Sonora has carried out a publicly funded "Paint Nogales" campaign.  Overall, about 1400 homes recieved colorful facelifts.

"Five colors were selected to reflect the five political parties in Nogales; Orange for the convergence Party; yellow for the Democratic Revolution Party; green for the Green Ecological Party; blue for the National Action Party; and pink for the Insitiutional Revoluntionary Party."

The most popular colors chosen were orange, green and blue.

I was only slightly confused to discover people living in a blue house can belong to the green party; and people living in a pink house can belong to the yellow party; and an Oompa Loompa is not necessarily confined to an orange house.  Because that would be racist and wrong.

 I'm jealous.

If Obama is gonna take my tax money and traipse about the globe on Veteran's Day maybe, just maybe he could take pity on those of us living in predominately white suburbia where every house is tan, tan, tan as far as the eye can see.  (Sometimes I fear I have gone completely color blind.) Maybe  he could allow for a "Paint The Suburbs" campaign to raise morale.  Specifically, MY morale.

The other day I drove into the wrong driveway due to the striking similarity between my home and the neighbor's.  I didn't want to look stupid so I just let myself in and started cooking dinner.  It was embarrassing.

I'd like to prevent such a occurance from happening again.

I wanna paint MY house orange or pink or blue.

I wonder how long it would take before the cops came.

"Ma'am, you are going to have to tone down your house.  The neighbors are compaining that they become overly excited when approaching your domicile.  You are disturbing the peace."

Nothing gives me greater joy than disturbing the peace. 

You may be scoffing at those Mexicans and their colorful houses but I'll have you know color is very powerful!  Color affects us mentally and physically.   Check this out to discover the psychology of color. 























I imagine the Mexicans living in the blue houses are calm, collected, cold and Smurfy.

I have no doubt the orange dwellers are warm and chipper and never cease dancing the Lambada.

Because clothing is how I adorn my personal abode (i.e. my temple) I thought I'd try on a couple different colors and see how they made me feel.

 Blue inspired feelings of compassion, stability, boredom and soap.  Yes.  Soap.  In Columbia, blue is associated with soap.  I felt very squeaky clean and far too predicatable for my liking.

Color was used by the ancient Egyptians as a method of healing.  I use color to heal ME all the time.

In perusing my closet for this post I discovered 75% of my wardrobe is black.

That's cause I'm a witch.  Just kidding.  I'm not a witch.  I'm YOU.  (I may never tire of that joke.  NEVER.)























Black makes me feel mysterious and sultry, like a panther in the woods.

Black makes me stare wantonly into the camera lense as I remember I have to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer.  Oooooo yeah.  Black is slimming. *says slimming in a provocative tone... suhhh-llliiimmm-innnnggg-gah*

And then there's red.  Ahhh RED.  My favorite of all colors.  The color of passion, heat, fire and an inflamed rash.  Reeeddddd.  YES!






















Red makes me feel wild and crazy.  Red inspires my most complicated Latina dance moves. 

Red makes me want to run with the bulls in Spain.  Nay!  Red makes me want to BE the cape weilded by a skilled Torrero that angers the ferocious bull!  Torro! Torro!

I try not to wear red very often.  It's unsafe.

And so you see?  Color makes a difference in the way we look at life.

What color are you wearing today?  How has it affected your mood? Can you feel a difference? 

Most of the citizens of Nogales are enjoying the colorful view of their once drab city.

"Before, everything looked pale, very discolored, and when we found out about the project to paint houses, I asked if they would paint mine," said Beatriz Rocha.

There are, of course, naysayers as well.

"Aside from the fact that the colors are really bright, I don't think it's enough to cover up the real state that the city is in," said Paloma Fernandez, who lives in the center of town and did not participate.  "It's just paint."

Huh.

Well.

Every party has a pooper.  That's why we invited you.

Party Pooper.