Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Get Up. Stand Up. (Back Day)





























I had a roommate in college that didn’t like me. She was much larger than I. Taller. Heavier. She had very frizzy, curly short hair and a bad attitude. She also had HORRIBLE posture. Her shoulders slumped and her gut jutted forward and she hung her head when she walked.


Sometimes very tall people have the WORST posture because they are somehow trying to hide. Make themselves fit in the crowd by altering their height. Sad story. Lil secret? WEEEEE CANNNN STILLLL SEEEE YOOUUUUU!

One day my roomie confronted me in anger. She was irate.

“YOU THINK YOU’RE ALL GREAT AND YOU STICK YOUR CHEST OUT WHEN YOU WALK AND YOU MADE-OUT WITH MY BROTHER!”

My face was stoic save my left eyebrow which tends to raise when I am seething internally.

“SO?” I said.

I stood up straight and stuck my chest out with a slight curl on my lips.

My response flustered the angry giant. Who cares what she responded at that point? I won!

SO?!

So insecure people HATE confident people. (Apparently insecure people don’t like it when you make out with their brother either. Go figure. Live and learn… Anywho….)

My roommate especially hated my GOOD POSTURE because it made my “chest stick out”.

I thought of her today because I lifted back. I LOVE BACK DAY!

Back day is all about ensuring good posture. Good Posture is all about CONFIDENCE. CONFIDENCE IS EVERYTHING.

When you work your back muscles you are tightening them up and creating an amazing V-taper. A V-taper looks good on EVERYONE.

Tight back muscles mean your shoulders are pulled back. (Which makes your chest more prominent and pisses off disgruntled roomies). A prominent chest looks good on dudes AND chicks! There’s nothing better than a dude who lifts chest AND back. (My husband is one of these chest and back lifters, which I greatly appreciate.)

NO MORE SLUMPING. Slumping is not attractive!

Tight back muscles mean you stand up straight.

When you stand up straight with your shoulders back you take 10 lbs off and add 2 inches! Good posture makes you look taller and THINNER! Taller intimidates shorties. (One of the many reasons I enjoy wearing 5 inch shoes.)

If you still have not figured out how to lift weights, ya gotta. It will change your whole physique. Seriously. Go to the gym and ask for help. Get a book for beginners. Whatever! Just DO IT! You won’t regret.

So yeah. When I walk into a room my back is tight so my shoulders are back and my head is held high. And while I’m at it I suck in my tummy.

I’ll tell ya a secret: I suck in my tummy ALWAYS. I am ALWAYS working on my abs. Always. Always. Always. Suck. It. In.

Another secret? I stand up straight on purpose! I force it!

Sometimes I feel beat-up or beat-down by life and it’s difficulties and I am tempted to SLUMP. When I’m not paying attention and I feel sad my shoulders sag. My head hangs low. My stomach relaxes.

But then I’m like, WRONG ANSWER SISTER! STAND UP STRAIGHT! ARE YOU A MAN OR A MOUSE?! ????

How are you sitting RIGHT NOW? SIT UP! WHATEVER IT IS YOU GOT… OWN IT, BABY!

WALK INTO A ROOM WITH A TIGHT BACK AND A TIGHT ATTITUDE!

Who cares if you’re a 6 foot 4 inch CHICK!? Who cares if you’re a 4 foot 6 inch dude? WORK WHAT YOU’RE MAMA GAVE YA!

GET UP. STAND UP.

(Lil Bob for ya…)

BTW  I DID apologise to my college roomate for making-out with her brother. I said, "I'm really sorry about that.  I don't even LIKE him!  I was just bored.  I'll ask your permission next time...". 

I think we BOTH felt better after that.... ;)