Friday, March 12, 2010

Roger

Roger has been on my mind a great deal lately.  Roger is my cousin.  He was killed in an accident last summer.

Roger was hilarious, crazy, sweet and loved everybody.

I always remember Rog as the pesky, red-headed kid that was always at nippin' at the heels of his siblings, Dorothy and Patrick.  He was a sweet little boy, but I never gave him much thought until about 7 years ago.

I went to Camden, S.C. to visit my Daddy's family.  I was sitting at a bookstore with my parents, and my aunts, Net and Jean.  I vividly remember the heated gossip that was taking place.  I had to smile.  I felt like I was home amid the soft southern drawls of my aunts and the hushed talk of other family members.  They were filling my daddy in on the latest juicy news in Camden.  (I seriously LOVE those women!)

At one point I excused myself to go out the parking lot.  I can't remember why now.

I exited the rear of the store and the sun shone directly in my eyes. To my left I saw the silluette of an extremely tall (6'4  ?), lean, muscular young man.  He was SO handsome!  I did my best to avert my eyes. I AM a married woman, you know...

The young man seemed to be walking directly toward me.  My heart beat a little faster.  Did he want to talk to me?  I kept looking straight ahead and walked faster to my car.

"Crystal..."  he said in that charming southern style.

I gasped.  'HE KNOWS MY NAME?!' I thought. 

I kept walking.  I was totally freaked out.

"Crystal!"  he said again.

I slowed down and looked at him more closely.

"Roger?!  When did you get so HOT!?"  I asked.

He laughed.  He hugged me tight and kissed my cheek.

"Hey, sweetie.  How's my hot Mexican cuz?"  he smiled.

Just thought I'd share that memory with you.  I'll be in his sister Megan's wedding in August.  I'll miss that guy.