Thursday, December 20, 2012

You Smell Of Beef And Cheese

"Santa isn't REAL!  My mom and dad told me!," said a little boy in my Sunday school class.

"YES HE IS!" said another boy.  "I KNOW HE'S REAL BECAUSE LAST YEAR WE GOT A TRAMPOLINE FOR CHRISTMAS AND I SNOOPED ALL OVER MY PARENT'S CLOSET AND THERE IS NO WAY THEY COULD FIT A  WHOLE TRAMPOLINE IN THEIR CLOSET 'CAUSE THAT'S WHERE THEY HIDE THE PRESENTS!  SANTA BROUGHT IT! THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION."

The debate was heated. Back and forth they went.  Stating the facts as they understood them.  All the children took a stance and finally looked to me for guidance.

As a Sunday school teacher I wondered what my responsibility was regarding Santa and these impressionable young minds.

I told my little class the truth.

"Santa Claus doesn't come to Tommy's house because Santa can only go to the houses of those children who believe in him.  Because Tommy doesn't believe in Santa his PARENTS now have to buy all the gifts."

Children are very smart and know the economy is less than stellar.  Several of the children shook their heads disapprovingly at Tommy for making his parents foot the entire Christmas bill.

Why do parents RUIN the Christmas magic by telling LIES??!!

Adults like to LIE to children regarding the really realness of Santa because they have forgotten the magic of the bell. Adults like to worry about calories. As a result they refuse to drink hot cocoa and eat entire plates of cookies in one fell swoop. 

Adults like to run marathons, zip up their flies and wear collared shirts with virtually no breakfast food stains. Adults shop at Target for things they don't need and pay bills and make rules and LIE ABOUT SANTA.

Last night I was texting Santa and lemme tell you, folks.  HE'S ANGRY!  (In a jolly, loving sort of way.)  He and I were discussing how little children are growing up way too fast these days. 

My 8 year old is embarrassed to play with Barbies.  Instead she wants a fancy ipod, which she is not getting.  I played with Barbies until I was TWELVE!  (Sometimes I still play with Barbies when everyone is gone.  And I sometimes eat paste and tape my fingers together and tape my nose up like Miss Piggy.  It hurts when you pull the tape off real fast.)

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!! I love shopping and Santa and singing praises to God and singing Frosty the Snowman. I love being grateful and remembering the birth of our Savior and eating too much and spending too much on people I love and wearing red sparkle nails.

My senses are heightened regarding my love for family and friends. Everything tastes better. Colors are brighter. Delicious scents are richer. Warm blankets are softer. I do a lot of hugging and smiling.

I love harder at Christmas time.  I pray more sincerely with all the energy of my spirit.  I have more of a desire to serve others.

Uh oh... I've gotta go... Santa is texting me.  The Elves have been drinking again...  They try to get sober all year long and then Christmas rolls around and BLAM!  They fall off the wagon.  Some literally fall off the sleigh... It's a problem.

Merry Christmas, my friends!!!